[Sigia-l] Lansdown Lecture 'Is IT a fraud?' London Tuesday 28 November 2006 at 4:45pm

Stephen Boyd Davis s.boyd-davis at mdx.ac.uk
Sun Nov 19 17:18:53 EST 2006

Lansdown Lecture: Information Technology: is it a fraud?

+ Date: Tuesday 28 November 2006

+ Time: 4:45pm for one hour

+ Location: Middlesex University, Cat Hill Campus: Room 137.

+ The campus is a simple Tube ride from central London, and within easy
reach of the M25.

+ Location in Google Maps:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=en4+8ht&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=51.646998,
-0.143552&spn=0.013474,0.050898&t=h&om=1

Admission is free.  If you would like to attend this lecture, please email
LCEAinfo at mdx.ac.uk.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Information Technology: is it a fraud?
+++++++++++++++++++++

Prof. Harold Thimbleby of Computer Science at Swansea University will give a
public lecture on "IT: fraud or saviour?".

If you've ever felt you didn't quite understand how to use a modern gadget
or computer, or if you ever felt some IT project (your organisation's web
site? email?) wasn't working well enough ... or if you are employed to make
some IT project work, then this talk will energise you.

* The UK Government builds many computer systems to improve the country. Yet
the NHS national programme for IT, currently the largest civilian IT project
in the world (costing the taxpayer and the NHS billions) is coming unstuck.

* We buy computers to make our lives better. Yet when we buy computers, very
quickly we have to buy upgrades to keep them working. Our homes are full of
computers, mobile phones and other gadgets that no longer work. And the ones
that do work are very hard to use.

Rather than moan about these problems, this talk will demonstrate some
solutions. We'll explain why things go wrong, and we'll see that we can do a
lot better... though not soon enough for the NHS.

+++++++++++++++++++++

If you would like to attend this lecture, please email LCEAinfo at mdx.ac.uk.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Harold Thimbleby is Professor of Computer Science, Swansea University. He
joined the Department in 2005, and directs the Future Interaction
Technologies Laboratory. He is a Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award
Holder and was 28th Gresham Professor of Geometry.

Harold believes strongly that public understanding and awareness of
technology and the science behind it is crucial for us to benefit from it to
the full.

Harold has given over 300 seminars and presentations (including at
Cambridge, MIT, Oxford, Royal Institution, Stanford and the House of Lords)
in 15 different countries.

He has been widely interviewed and reported in the media. He gives numerous
public lectures. He had the largest post-bag ever for a New Scientist
feature article he wrote about video recorders.

Any enquires to Stephen Boyd Davis:  s.boyd-davis at mdx.ac.uk

Stephen Boyd Davis
Head, Lansdown Centre for Electronic Arts
Middlesex University, Cat Hill, Barnet, Herts  EN4 8HT
United Kingdom
Tel 44 (0)20 8411 5072
The Centre's Web Pages are at http://www.cea.mdx.ac.uk/