[Sigia-l] Dedicated to those...

Steven Pautz spautz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 11:27:32 EST 2006

It seems to me that Prady is focusing on the wrong aspects of this
topic: it doesn't matter whether or not measurement improves or hurts
design (or whatever else is being measured) -- the point is that
measurement changes the thing being measured.

The original link described a scenario in which programmer behavior
was altered in order to maximize performance along a particular
metric. The key insight here, I believe, is that the exact same thing
happens in design -- just with niche, function, and form in place of
programmer behavior.

The original conceptualization and formulation of design is based on
many abstract factors -- user and business needs and goals inspire and
define purpose, audience, and context, which guide and inform design
decisions (or whatever other model/methods you use). As Prady pointed
out, metrics are not a substitute for this; they only measure the
results as expressed in something measurable.

However, whatever measurements are made will invariably have an effect
on the design, and these effects will be unavoidably colored by the
implicit goal of improving measurement scores. Even if the
measurements are accurate, relevant, and appropriate, basing design
decisions on measurements instead of the aforementioned abstract
factors changes the overall context surrounding the design. In a
sense, it changes the design decisions from "purpose-centered" or
"user-centered" (or whatever else it's intended to be) to
"measurement-centered".

Even if the measurements are flawless, they should only be used to
inform/revise the abstract factors which drive design decisions --
using them to guide the decisions themselves changes the very nature
of design.

The actual companies considered in this debate are irrelevant. The
companies defined "success" for themselves based on their use of
measurements -- whether it be maximizing profits, minimizing risk,
minimizing environmental impact, or teaching children to read.
Observers whose definitions of "success" align with those measurements
will view the company as a success; others will view the company as a
failure. (After all, isn't personal judgment of success just another
measurement?)

Because of their measurement-driven pursuit of "success", as opposed
to a context-dependent "abstract factor"-based pursuit, many companies
have a difficult time achieving "success" in contexts outside of their
established scope.

Measurement changes the thing being measured, whether it be interface,
product, service, strategy, or whatever. Such changes alter the nature
of the design behind the interface/product/service/strategy, harming
its ability to suit -- or even perceive -- different purposes,
audiences, or contexts.

~Steven Pautz