[Sigia-l] What we do, How we do it, etc.

Eric Reiss elr at e-reiss.com
Fri Nov 3 07:53:00 EST 2006

Kenneth Bryson wrote:
>My feeling is that the whole "who we are, what we do" approach is a
>failed experiment, albeit one that I, too, championed just 5 long
>years
>ago.

In journalism school, students are taught to include information
regarding who, what, when, where, why, and how in the first
paragraph. So, when we designed our current site (www.fatdux.com), we
used these labels - which have proven very successful.

Kenneth continues:
>As Victor points out, they are generic labels that are used across
>industries. And that's exactly the problem with them They impart no
>information to the user about what type of site or company they are
>visiting.

Although it's always nice if a label can improve the scent in some
way, a set of top-tier labels indicates the scope of a site, not
necessarily the specific content. Using your argumentation, one could
perhaps conclude that menus in restaurants are ineffective when they
list appetizers, main courses, desserts, etc. And what about various
office applications? Are File and Edit and Help such bad generic
labels - and these are certainly used across a wide range of products?

Cheers,
Eric

-----------------------
Eric Reiss
Managing Director
FatDUX Aps
Copenhagen, Denmark
http://www.fatdux.com
office: (+45) 39 29 67 77
mobile: (+45) 20 12 88 44
skype id: ericreiss

FatDUX is an official sponsor of the
Usability Professionals' Association
http://www.upassoc.org

This message is intended only for the person to which it is
addressed. If you received this in error, please let us know and
delete the material from your computer.