[Sigia-l] Rant about bad IA practice.

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:17:05 EST 2006

On 11/3/06, Stewart Dean <stew8dean at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I hope it illstrates why I don't think you make a strong case for
> card sorting as a 'good way to do most website'.

As I've never claimed such a thing, why would you expect me to build a
strong case for that?

> Maybe what you are doing isnt realy card sorting as I and
> others know it.

Donna Maurer is currently writing a whole book on card sorting, so
maybe there is more to card sorting than we both may think.

> Perhaps  it would be helpful if you said how you go about using
> card sorting rather than what you use it for.

I'm sure that's true, but that wasn't really why I wrote to protest
your general butching of card sorting as a best pratice. You've
explained privately that you really meant to attack "card sorting as
we know it when doing navigation on websites", although in my book
even that is terribly vague, and often even wrong.

To iterate; your thread was an attack on best practices, with
generalised examples within. I'm more than happy to dig into specifics
of card sorting and how I do it in such a thread.

Regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert