[Sigia-l] What am I missing...

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 3 05:27:10 EST 2006

Paola Kathuria:

>> When they are actually compensated for design, I also see that as a problem.
>
> Except you, eh?

Well, I've been a designer for nearly two decades as well. I never did get
paid for programming when hired as a designer, or vice versa. I'm always
asked to do a high-level architectural review of the codebase. And on a few
cases over the years I revised my contract to do that, to save some projects
mostly as a favor to the client. But I do what I get paid to do.

See, this is also an economic issue. I'm usually the most senior programmer
or designer in any given meeting, and I've had more business experience than
most biz line people I deal with, but that doesn't mean I'll provide service
in any one of those areas just because I can, without getting paid for it
specifically.

That's why programmers should resist being drafted to provide "design"
services just because they've already been paid for coding.

> As a programmer, what qualifies you to talk about design?

See above.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution