[Sigia-l] Re: Bookshops in Vancouver

Skot Nelson skot at penguinstorm.com
Sun Mar 12 02:24:29 EST 2006

On Mar-11-2006, at 4:28 PM, <wongword at ozemail.com.au>
<wongword at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> What and where are the best bookshops in Vancouver for books on
> communication issues such as writing, editing, writing manuals and
> so on?

Most of our highly specialized bookstores here tend to focus on the
film industry. Vancouver's pretty film obsessed. Chances are if you
go out, your waiter/waitress is an actor/acress.

I mentioned Inform Interiors, which has a significant communication
design section. Less on technical writing.
http://tinyurl.com/me87l

Simon Fraser University's downtown campus has a bookstore. They offer
a Technical Writing certificate, and should have a decent section. I
was looking into the certificate program, but never visited the
bookstore.
http://tinyurl.com/r62ne

Chapters is kind of our Barnes & Noble, except I like Barnes & Noble
better.  The closest one is located at Robson & Hornby, about a 15
minute walk away from the conference. Selection can vary quite widely
on in stock materials (I, for instance, have resigned myself to the
fact that they will never have, in stock, a copy of Alan Cooper's
About Face 2.0 which I really want to buy but haven't ordered online
yet.

Hope this helps.