[Sigia-l] Being considerate of others (Off Topic Posts)

Lyle Kantrovich lyle.kantrovich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:09:24 EST 2006

Here are some recent examples of things I think of as being off topic
for this list:
- The role of anti-marketing design
- Real-life object emulation for digital UIs
- If microsoft had designed the Ipod packaging
- Apple's recent patents on multi-point/multi-touch finger based input devices

I'm NOT saying that these aren't interesting topics. I'm just saying
that they aren't on-topic for this list (IMO).

To Dwayne's point, I'm also not advocating a resurgence of semantic
arguments...wait, let's discuss what we mean by "semantic" and
"argument" first.  :-)

To borrow from Dwayne: if we have another discussion about Apple or
the iPod from a marketing, packaging or generic UX standpoint, I think
I'll stab myself...in the eye (or iEye).  (Yes, I do love my 5th Gen
iPod, but there are other examples of good UX out there.)

If you want to talk about how the IA of the iTunes store absolutely
sucks, I'm game for that.  Just try browsing "podcasts" for instance.
How about how iTunes only gives you one playlist on your iPod if you
have more music/files than will fit on your device?  Who came up with
the conclusion that playlists weren't important if you have even more
music than the average person?  It makes absolutely no sense, but I'm
sure they did it because it made implementation easy.

Better yet, rather than talk about Apple and iWhatever (yawn), I'd
like to hear about what other SIGIA community members are up to...and
help them with their problems.  That's much more interesting than
talking about something that is distant from what most folks here are
working on.

Examples of topics I assume are lurking out there:
- The failure of corporate portals - you bought it, it sucks, now what?
- Success stories around managing search at your company (on-site or Enterprise)
- The greatest book you read recently (for me it was Serious Play by
Michael Schrage)
- Patterns, templates, page types...how do you break big design
problems into smaller ones?
- IA Infrastructure: what does it take to make an IA group
operationally efficient?
- Deliverables: what works best for you and why?

--
Lyle

Lyle Kantrovich
Blog: Croc O' Lyle