[Sigia-l] Personas vs Business Needs?

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at Wheel.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 09:48:48 EDT 2006

> To us, it's a pretty simple artifact, but to our clients,
> it's often been the silver bullet. Each item is color-coded
> and prioritized from
> 1 (must haves) to 4 (sometime in the future). Those
> prioritizations come from discussions with the business unit
> and are framed around the Customer and Business needs. So, if
> it's a 1, it's because both the customer and business unit
> think we have to have it. If it's a 2 (We really want it, but
> if something has to slip before launch, that's one that gets
> cut) then the Business has decided that we can live w/o it
> (either it wasn't critical to the business or the customer,
> or possibly either/both).

Interesting. I've used this approach in the past for requirements
gathering and prioritisation, where I've given each requirement (usually
things like "Allow single sign-on" or "Enable users to subscribe to news
via RSS") three scores: a commercial priority, a user priority and
usually some other dimension like brand. The total of these scores then
determines their overall priority for the project.

I like your idea of making this a more persona focussed analysis though
and would be very interested to see an example.

Jonathan