[Sigia-l] Numerology

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Jan 11 01:50:50 EST 2006

I use a PowerBook to make business presentations in, usually, 100% Wintel
corporate environments. In strategy meetings, there's almost always a guy
who's averse to spending money on design, usability or innovation. As it has
happened several times, someone inevitably points to the Apple logo on my PB
and makes a condescending remark about how the company that cares for these
things has <5% marketshare and how Dell has won the real war. Meaning design
is essentially a losing proposition.

This then gives me a great entry point to underline how design sells. A task
that has become ridiculously easy in recent months with AAPL with a <5%
marketshare poised to overtake the #1 DELL in marketcap in the next few
months. An astounding business story in and of itself:

<http://tinyurl.com/972wy>

Then come slides of Dell's iPod-killer DJ Ditty, plus, of course, the quote
from Dell CEO where he referred to both Sony Walkman and Apple iPod as
"fads":

> Apple's created a niche. If you look at the grand scheme of things this
> quarter, we are supposed to achieve something like $13.5bn in revenue. Apple's
> in the $2.4bn [region] so the size and scale is not even in the same league.
> But what they do they do very well and they've had great success with the
> iPod. It's interesting the iPod has been out for three years and it's only
> this past year it's become a raging success.
>
> Well, those things that become fads rage and then they drop off. When I was
> growing up there was a product made by Sony called the Sony Walkman - a rage,
> everyone had to have one. Well, you don't hear about the Walkman anymore. I
> believe that 'one product wonders' come and go. You have to have sustainable
> business models, sustainable strategy. But don't read that as any sort of
> disparagement of Apple. They've done a nice job.

Anyhow, by coincidence I have one these presentations scheduled later this
week and look what the design fairy sent my way. If context gives data
meaning, this could be humor:

8086
80.86
$80.86
AAPL $80.86
Jan 10, 2006, AAPL $80.86
Day Apple introduced its first Intel computers, Jan 10, 2006, AAPL $80.86
Intel's designation that started the CPU architecture these computers use:
8086

Coincidence? :-)

----
Ziya

"Whoever controls the definition, controls the outcome."