[Sigia-l] eye tracking?

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Tue Jan 10 09:32:41 EST 2006

At 12:02 AM 1/10/2006, Listera wrote:
>Jared M. Spool:
>
> > People think that an eye tracker measures what a user sees. In fact, it
> > only measures what their eyes gaze at. There's a significant difference.
>
>Bingo. BTW, usability folk who generally think life started in the mid-90's
>with the WWW ;-) may not remember that advertising and movie biz used *and*
>discarded eye tracking as a serious tool long time ago.

For the record, our eye tracking experience started in the late '80s
working on Navy and Army contracts for using eye tracking is a variety of
military applications, including targeting and eye strain minimization. We
also did a project for NASA involving using eye tracking as a method of
heads up display cursor control in a space-suit based computer. (How do you
read your repair manual when you're fixing the outside of your space station?)

Advertising still uses eye trackers regularly (there are useful things you
can learn) as do new interactive technologies.

The devices themselves are not problematic. It's the interpretation of the
results that gets people into trouble.

Jared

4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
978 777-9123   jspool at uie.com  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks