[Sigia-l] Putting the "Graphic" back with "Designer"(was:thelesser importance of home pages)

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 05:31:15 EST 2006

On 5/1/06 2:09 am, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> andrew at friendlymanual.com:
>
>> I think that Peter's comment was that "Designer" covers such a multitude of
>> sins that using it as a label in a wider corporate environment may lead to
>> misunderstanding.
>
> Yes, and I was saying that *if* one takes the time to explain and educate,
> there's no misunderstanding. You'd be surprised how receptive people will
> be, especially the non-technical side.
>
>> We should all be signatories to the label non-proliferation treaty! :)
>
> And I hereby declare unilateral disarmament: no qualifying labels for
> Designer at all, medieval in its simplicity and rigor.

On 5/1/06 2:09 am, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> andrew at friendlymanual.com:
>
>> I think that Peter's comment was that "Designer" covers such a multitude of
>> sins that using it as a label in a wider corporate environment may lead to
>> misunderstanding.
>
> Yes, and I was saying that *if* one takes the time to explain and educate,
> there's no misunderstanding. You'd be surprised how receptive people will
> be, especially the non-technical side.
>
>> We should all be signatories to the label non-proliferation treaty! :)
>
> And I hereby declare unilateral disarmament: no qualifying labels for
> Designer at all, medieval in its simplicity and rigor.

I can hear the conversation now..

'I'm a designer'
'What do you design'
'Solutions'
'Solutions to what'
'Design problems'
'What kind of design problems?'

Interaction Designer designs interaction,
Graphic Designer designs visual stuff ('print or web?')
User Interface Designer designs user interfaces.
Information Architect architects information (well functionality mostly but
the title is well understood).

There are also.
Product Designers
Fashion Designers
Interior Designers
Fabric Designers
Magazine Designers

There is a world beyond user experience design.

I'm not really title orientated but there are roles to be carried out on
projects, such as writing copy - you wouldn't ask a designer as in the real
world you don't get 'copy designers'.

If it ain't bust - why try to break it?

Stew Dean