[Sigia-l] Graphic visualization of hierarchical information

Diane Deseta deseta at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 3 16:21:56 EST 2006

I came across this while doing some research. I haven’t seen anyone try to do this since the New York Times’ US election map in 2004.

http://news.com.com/2001-11386_3-0.html?tag=ne.tab.hd
Scroll down to the middle of the page to the What’s Hot area and select the graphic radio button.

I’m pleasantly surprised to see a major publication such as CNET taking some design risks. I think it is a gutsy attempt to engage users to interact with content housed within the right rail, which as many of us know, is almost impossible for us to do these days.

Although I give them kudos for the gutsy move I’m giving them several demerits for a less than refined presentation. I particularly dislike the placement of the legend at the bottom of the graphic; seems like a rookie mistake to me. I also would have expected a little more graphical refinement in terms of font and used something other than a bunch of boxes with bold outlines.

What do you think?

DIANE DESETA

Product Manager

Direct: 678.597.5938