[Sigia-l] IA and innovation (was: Your take on MySpace)

Austin Govella austin.govella at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:09:45 EST 2006

On 2/27/06, Peter Merholz <peterme at peterme.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd point
> out that a bit back, Jesse James Garrett wrote a column about the
> design of MySpace for BusinessWeek
> <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/dec2005/id20051230_570094.htm>

In the article, JJG mentions three kinds of innovation:

1. Innovation in the underlying system by which functionality is
offered  (system architecture);

2. Innovation in what functionality is offered (available features); and

3. Innovation in how users access the functionality (design).

How (or where) do you see IAs most distinct impact on innovation? Do
you see a gap between where IA innovates now, and where it can have
the greatest impact? Do you think IA-driven innovation is limited to
information spaces, or does it offer innovation for physical and
social spaces? Can we describe the innovations IA can offer in
physical and social spaces?

My answers: System architecture. Routine IA innovates design. Good IA
innovates features. Best IA would innovate architecture. Info,
physical, or social space is irrelevent. No.

--
Austin Govella
Thinking & Making: IA, UX, and IxD
austin.govella at gmail.com