It's Labels Again (was Re: [Sigia-l] Web Developers

andrew at friendlymanual.com andrew at friendlymanual.com
Mon Feb 6 16:58:46 EST 2006

Quoting Listera <listera at rcn.com>:

> They are not designers, period.

Much has been said about what a designer is and is not over the last little
while. I think that this comes from a perspective difference and will be a
battle waged throughout the rest of eternity. I think that it reinforces the
point that titles are universally meaningless and often only relevant locally
(but very relevant where it involves being paid to do a particular task).

Categorisation is probably at least a survival skill with most people on this
list, and so we should be used to the idea of different people putting the same
object into different pigeonholes. We should probably think about this as a
difference in domain scope and granularity rather than a series of attacks on
who we are as people and as professionals. For myself, you can call me a tech
writer or a business analyst or a Designer or an information support system
designer or Shirley Temple as long as you pay me to do IA work :)

Best regards, Andrew