[Sigia-l] UI for the $150 Laptop (OLPC)

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 06:32:27 EST 2006

Going back to the subject of OSS and design.  If we agree that there
is lack of design in OSS than wouldn't it be beneficial if the OSS
movement actively welcomed designers instead of starting with setting
up barriers for them?  I mean that attitude thing - it is important on
both sides isn't it?

--
Zbyszek

On 12/1/06, Celeste 'seele' Paul <seele at obso1337.org> wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 05:42, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
> > Personally I think it goes a bit deeper than that.  I do agree with
> > "The process of OSS app creation is overwhelmingly developer-driven" -
> > but this is not the root cause, just an intermediate syndrom. So the
> > question here is 'Why OSS is developer-driven?"
>
> For the most part, theyre the only ones involved.  They also do the work, so
> they make the decisions.  Projects are also seen as being personal in nature
> and not for a larger audience, which make them more "me"-centric
> than "you"-centric.  There arent enough other people who do things other than
> code who have a high enough stake in projects to matter.  Some don't take
> design advice, some take it in to consideration but aren't serious about it,
> and others value design advice enough to make a fundamental change.  That
> successful latter case only occurs when designers have gotten intimately
> involved with a project.
>
> --
> Celeste 'seele' Paul
> www.obso1337.org
> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

> Most presentations/papers and posters have been loaded to the IA Summit 06 website:
>
> http://iasummit.org/2006/conferencedescrip.htm
> http://iasummit.org/2006/posters.htm

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/