[Sigia-l] UI for the $150 Laptop (OLPC)

Celeste 'seele' Paul seele at obso1337.org
Fri Dec 1 10:47:39 EST 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 05:42, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
> Personally I think it goes a bit deeper than that.  I do agree with
> "The process of OSS app creation is overwhelmingly developer-driven" -
> but this is not the root cause, just an intermediate syndrom. So the
> question here is 'Why OSS is developer-driven?"

For the most part, theyre the only ones involved.  They also do the work, so
they make the decisions.  Projects are also seen as being personal in nature
and not for a larger audience, which make them more "me"-centric
than "you"-centric.  There arent enough other people who do things other than
code who have a high enough stake in projects to matter.  Some don't take
design advice, some take it in to consideration but aren't serious about it,
and others value design advice enough to make a fundamental change.  That
successful latter case only occurs when designers have gotten intimately
involved with a project.

--
Celeste 'seele' Paul
www.obso1337.org