[Sigia-l] IA's Responsibility

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Wed Aug 30 12:01:19 EDT 2006

Challis wrote:
> Even if you select credit
> card, if the scanner detects you have debit capabilities it
> takes you to the input pin screen. There is no indication
> that you can hit cancel and then select the credit option.
> Though you can. Obviously this is a business decision given
> that debit is less expensive to process than credit.
>
> What would you do if you're the IA/IxD on that problem/solution?

Wow, that's a great example, thanks for picking up on that and sharing it.

I think this crosses over from "harming the user experience" to "dishonest
quasi-legal business practice". Which I suppose is not entirely surprising
for WalMart. One obvious solution for the IA is to quit, but that's pretty
extreme and not many people have that kind of option.

I guess if you work for WalMart, you should be prepared to spend a lot of
time in this kind of ethical gray area.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey