[Sigia-l] Ajax vs. $$$

Kenneth Bryson kbryson at toronto.ca
Tue Aug 29 13:24:34 EDT 2006

>>> "Christopher Fahey" <chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com> 8/29/2006
11:35 AM >>>

> I know Ziya agrees with this. Does anyone actually disagree? Is it
the IAs
> job to be a usability advocate even if their advocacy flies in the
face of
> the core business objective?

There's nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it too!  In this
case, improved usability does not have to be in direct conflict with the
core business objective.  Forcing people through 10 page reloads to get
the information they want may be a reasonable thing given the amount of
money people stand to save by getting the best mortgage rate.   However,
it does smack of black hat type practices as far as a revenue generation
model.

Even a suit would agree that there is an point where the number of
clicks begins to decrease the number of users willing to use your
service.   The IA's job is to find the optimal point where you can have
the least number of clicks to sustain the same amount of revenue (that's
revenue not page views).

If Bankrate can't figure out how to monetize it's referrals, then it's
only a matter of time until Googlerate comes along and puts them out of
business.

-k