[Sigia-l] Mac mail packages

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Apr 7 23:02:34 EDT 2006

A.F. Cossham:
> I just want smaller building blocks so they can be assembled the way I want.

That may be. But the vast majority of users of commercial (email) software
just have no ability or willingness to assemble their own apps. This is
actually true for most things in life. From computers to homes to airplanes
to guns to ice cream to just about anything out there can also be bought as
a kit the purchaser can assemble by himself. And yet except for a miniscule
fraction, people prefer to buy ready-made, fully assembled goods. Which is
why we have designers. Which is why we spend time in the field to observe
and understand usage patterns. Which is why applications are "designed" as
opposed to delivered in disjointed bits. Which is why, for example,
varieties of Linux (while free but largely reliant on user-assembly) haven't
been able to penetrate the non-geek market at all. Which is why you'll get a
blank look if you ask 99% of PC users what, say, OpenDoc was or Greasemonkey
is.

The reason I'm harping on this is that this is not the first time you've
equated the role of a "Designer" with visual cosmetics and advocated the
approach of delivering raw ingredients to users hungry for a cooked meal. If
you want to explain it, I'm all ears.

----
Ziya

When 2+2=4, it's development,