[Sigia-l] Just b/c I love a good Mac/Win flame war ... ; ) ... seriously though

Fred Beecher fbeecher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:30:47 EDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> What's imminently interesting is virtualization, in various disguises. Mac
> folk are used to it from past PPC/Classic migration experiences. Now there's
> dedicated hardware support from Intel:

Very true. I think this Boot Camp thing will win over a lot of the
people like me who, although far from being hackers, are technically
inclined. I imagine myself using my shiny new dual-booting Mac for
Windows during the day (when I'm pounding away at Visio, Axure, etc.)
and using OS X at night when I'm making music, doing some design
experiment, or working with multimedia files. For me it's a nice
balance... Windows for work, Mac for life. (Holy crap... did I just
come up with Apple's new advertising slogan? :)

But I could easily see normal people (my wife for instance) not
wanting to have to know whether something needed to be run in Windows
or OS X. She really doesn't want to care and it would confuse her if
she needed to use technical knowledge like that just to use her
computer.

> It's at that point that designers would be looking at a robust set of visual
> design and interaction problems *between* various different OSes, on the
> same screen, at the same hierarchical plane, intermingled, multitasking: UI
> wars. Schweeet. :-)

And QA departments around the globe will rise up in delerious joy...

- Fred