[Sigia-l] Seeking Best Practices: order for chaos

A. Simon Mielniczuk simon at itscooperative.com
Wed Sep 28 12:08:09 EDT 2005

To add my voice to the chorus chanting that the organzational structure is
one way of looking at the organization, I agree that it serves the function
of informing those who interact with the organization directly, not simply
with its products or services.

Most of my working life has been with not-for-profit and public sector
enterprise clients. They work and survive by building and maintaining strong
inter-organizational networks. Many of their users are not only those
looking for services or wishing to donate, but others (potential funders,
competitors, volunteers, etc.) looking to learn about their organization.
There is a tendency among many of these to emphasize their organizational
credentials over their services. Frequently we find ourselves in discussions
trying to clarify the priorities of the site and examining ways to satisfy
diverse intents.

Some 'picture' of any public sector or voluntary organization does seem to
be necessary. Convincing an organization that it is not the emphasis for
either content or navigation is sometimes difficult.

A. Simon Mielniczuk - ITS Co-operative Inc.
416.828.2118 - simon at itscooperative.com
www.itscooperative.com

Please download our paper on collaborating with web services:
http://www.itscooperative.com/Public/pdf/ITScoopCollaborationServices.pdf