[Sigia-l] European IAs lazier?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Sep 21 18:55:50 EDT 2005

Jonathan Baker-bates:

> Hm. The number of US vs European practitioners of a rather obscure
> programming language seems a bit of an odd metric with which to
> criticise the whole of Europe.

Well, strictly speaking Ruby is the programming language, Rails is the
framework. The latter is significant because it is what reduces
prototyping/development significantly, allowing a small team or a startup
(the subject of the article) to get a speed advantage.

As a startup you are always looking for an advantage in time, money,
resources, etc. RoR gives you that advantage in technology. And yet, the
article says, our European brethren appear to be practically oblivious to
it; the flame of entrepreneurship is aflutter across the pond.

While the lack of interest for RoR alone is not a proof of laziness, it
remains an evidence of it, until, of course, the EU declares RoR be lacking
in technical prowess or continental startup activity percolating at full
speed regardless. As neither has been sufficiently shown to be the case, the
case remains closed: Europeans are a lazy bunch. :-)

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.