[Sigia-l] Bottoms-up tagging

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Sep 9 06:04:50 EDT 2005

Marcel van Mackelenbergh:

> Especially this application shows how important it is that also the
> 'tagger' is an important aspect of any classification. What is
> 'alternative' to me might be ' folk' to you. (e.g. The Roches) This
> means that we should be adding tags AND ALSO tagging who you (the
> tagger) are. Don't you agree?

Most of the aggregating done today (blogging, RSS, networking, etc) is
anonymous. It's infinitely easier to create tools to do blind aggregation.
Cost of acquiring source-specific info still remains very expensive. Couple
that with peoples' reluctance to reveal personal information that can be
tied to their public metadata and we got the problem you cite. The belief
here is that if you aggregate large pools of info and you have general
demographic info it's good enough to reach conclusions. For some things that
may be sufficient, for others it isn't. It may be OK to select some music
based on this, but would you select a surgeon based of anonymous peoples'
tagging of a specific physician? It may be too coarse a filter or enough to
get you started and thus useful.

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.