[Sigia-l] what are best practices (was OT: Library Thing)

Lyle Kantrovich lyle.kantrovich at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 00:57:20 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> I have no idea what happens behind the closed doors in academia :-) but in
> the commercial world, if all your problems and solutions are the same as
> everybody else you are most likely to be commoditized out of existence.

I work in the commercial world, and would point out the opposite:
If all your problems and solutions are different from everybody else's
you/your company/industry/products are (very strange and) likely to be
out of existence soon...or you work for NASA or something as unique.

Being different can be good and bad.  Customers of tech products
usually expect some level of consistency with other products or
applications.  If you do EVERYTHING in a totally different fashion
you're not likely to get many buyers.

So maybe there's *some* room for a *few* guidelines or standards or
(shh) "best practices?"  :-)

--
Lyle