[Sigia-l] Re: Design(ers) [was: is bad design a choice?]

Manu Sharma manu at orangehues.com
Tue Oct 18 19:34:34 EDT 2005

>>> Do you know of *any* explanation of AAPL's success in the past 3 years
>>> that's attributed to anything other than the iPod?

 >> Their ability to legally sell music online and the opportunity it
represents.

Ziya :

> As Jobs would tell you (and he did in an article I linked to recently),
> design is an all-encompassing endeavor.

I'd agree if we were talking about success of iPod-as-a-product. So, yes
design as an all-in-one endeavor can be called as a single major determinant
behind the popularity of iPod. But then you should quote product sales and
market share figures in that case.

Since you quoted Apple's *stock price*, I was responding to other major
factors which may have led the dozens of Wall-street analysts that put BUY
rating to AAPL and ambitious quarter to quarter targets.

In fact, another even more important factor behind the rise of the stock
price is size of the market that iPod addresses. That's an external factor
and completely independent of the "end-to-end design process" you refer to.
"The iPod phenomenon" would have turned into "the iPod fad" within six
months had the market not been so big.

The phenomenal market size of digital music players is perhaps the second
biggest factor, if not the biggest, behind Apple's recent success as a
public company.

Manu.