[Sigia-l] is bad design a choice?

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Mon Oct 17 23:34:04 EDT 2005

At 03:46 PM 10/17/2005, Dave Heller wrote:
>It is a combination and in a world where technology is getting cheaper
>and cheaper to replicate (market share is not cheap, just eBay's
>advantage), when there is a more level playing field, design (all
>aspects, not just visual) can make a difference depending on the
>market.

Yah. Yah. Motherhood. Apple Pie. Baseball. Good Design. Got all that.

But the thread, if I ain't mistaken, is about whether bad design is a
choice. Is it a good business decision to choose a bad design?

And the examples that were used to illustrate this was eBay and MySpace.
Did they intentionally create bad designs to help their business?

I'm just challenging the claim that either of them are bad designs.

I believe that good design can help business. I just don't believe that
either you nor I can accurately determine what is good design. At least not
today.

So, maybe eBay and MySpace are great designs, for their audiences, and
that's why they succeeded.

At which point, maybe the thread should be renamed, "Are designs I don't
like a choice?" That would work better for me. Then I could follow the
argument.

:)

Jared

4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
978 777-9123   jspool at uie.com  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks