[Sigia-l] "Who Really Turns Off JavaScript?"

Phil Glatz phil at glatz.com
Tue Nov 8 10:40:54 EST 2005

At 08:49 PM 11/7/2005, Bruce wrote:
>What you can do is structure your Javascript to work with those browsers
>that utilise standard DOMs.

recommended reading:
DHTML Utopia Modern Web Design Using JavaScript & DOM, by Stuart Langridge

This is a great little reference and philosophy book about using good
coding practices on modern browsers.  He makes no apologies, and with
a few minor exceptions, uses none of the traditional hacks that have
made javascript less than elegant in the past.  There are good
examples of solving common problems, including scripts to allow
validation on both the client and server side with a common code base.

I'm on the fence about depending too much on javascript.  My
experience is that about 95% of most audiences can deal with itm
based on the browser types appearing in my server logs, and the fact
that most users *never* change their default browser settings.  There
are situations where those other 5% are critical, and also
specialized environments, like corporations that demand a specific
non-compliant browser type.

In the real world, I think conservatively coded javascript, written
to modern DOM, works just fine.  As a user, I much prefer an initial
client-side validation when filling out forms, even just a rough one
to check for the most common mistakes.  I've also found that the
developer extensions for Firefox makes testing and debugging
javascript much easier than it has been in the past.

I've followed this thread with mild amusement; there are compelling
arguments for both sides, and I think using one's good judgement for
a particular situation is the answer.  The level of passion is taking
on religious overtones, and as with religion, I would hate to have to
say which side is always the "right" one.  Please relax!