[Sigia-l] "Who Really Turns Off JavaScript?"

Terrence Wood tdw at funkive.com
Mon Nov 7 16:19:48 EST 2005

Listera said:
> I can't see a legitimate reason.

1. Legal obligation (e.g. 508 etc)

2. Accessible content for all is a basic tenent of the WWW.

Stewart Dean said:
> ...it may be there but it doesn't always work!

Here are 5 cases where javascript is on , but the you - the developer -
may not get the result you expect:

1. I am using IE6 behind a firewall and have an active-x blocker (or some
other browser behind a proxy). Sometimes I can over-ride the block/proxy,
sometimes I can't.

2. I am using assitive technology (e.g. screen reader). Javascript is
turned on in my browser, but all my keystroke events are processed by my
assistive technology, and unless your events are added directly to the
content they will not work.

3. I am browsing using a device which supports javascript (e.g. PDA) but
doesn't my UA does not behave like a desktop browser (e.g. no mouse, no
keyboard)

4. I am savvy and selectively turn off parts of js.

5. I am a novice. I can use a back button, but the 'flashy' bits are
beyond me.