Proposal Scope (Was Re: [Sigia-l] Smackdown: Edward Tufte vs. DonNorman

Lynch, Neil Neil.Lynch at canberra.edu.au
Sat May 28 23:27:13 EDT 2005

Then again, if you're an academic or a pundit that gets paid by word count...:-)

rising to the bait - I've just finished marking a bunch of group assignments (some of them 70+ pages) and they've lost marks for excessive length ... and last week I deducted marks from presentations that went over their allotted 6 minutes !

 I tell students to picture their manager, reading in bed at night, he / she is tired, is "giving" them at most 10 minutes before lights out, and you have only one chance before it gets filed in the "papers to be read sometime" pile

When I was working in government, the "pitch" to a member of cabinet for a (sometimes) 100's of million dollar expenditure bid was reduced to a one page cover sheet on your 400 page report ...

regards
Neil Lynch