[Sigia-l] Re: Sigia-l Digest, Vol 8, Issue 13

Will Parker macartisan at mac.com
Sat May 14 16:10:52 EDT 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Ziya wrote:

> There's absolutely, positively no rational (!) reason to subject
> non-programmers to UML. None. Not a single non-programmer anywhere
> on the
> design chain should be subjected to "education" (or other forms of
> cruel and
> unusual punishment) to learn UML to grasp "top level domain model",
> site
> structure, app architecture, etc.

I heartily agree. If you can't (or won't) explain the main
architecture, UI design and every bit of exposed functionality to
*any* non-programmer in their native language and in simple, easy-to-
grasp concepts, you either have a serious design problem or you need
to hire someone with better language skills.

Personally, I think that a project that can't be explained to mere
mortals without a PowerPoint deck and UML diagrams is doomed to
failure from the start.

- Will

Will Parker | macartisan at mac.com | http://macartisan.blogspot.com
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it" - Donald Knuth