[Sigia-l] For the Hall of the Obvious

Olly Wright olly.wright at mediacatalyst.com
Fri Mar 18 09:36:47 EST 2005

The Japanese, who are way ahead of us when it comes to phones, are
releasing products with this philosophy. For example, the Premini range
from Sony Ericsson are dubbed 'Simple phone': the aim is to provide a
simpler stripped-down user experience for users that are not interested
in the feature creep of modern handsets. Extra emphasis is placed on
ergonomics, for instance designing the keyboard to fit a wide range of
finger sizes. No doubt other manufacturers there are following suit.

I would however apply the same argument you raise to the PC market.
Despite clear customer need, Microsoft continues to pile on features
into XP and Office that only serve to clutter our minds and slow down
our hardware. Yet we have no 'simple PC', despite many years of this
need being obvious. I guess what I'm saying is that the 'collision'
that you claim needs to happen could well not happen, judging by the
history of PCs.

Olly Wright (who had fun making a video call on his mobile phone
yesterday)