[Sigia-l] data as information?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Thu Jun 30 00:46:09 EDT 2005

On 30/6/05 2:15 PM, "Alexander Johannesen" <alexander.johannesen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6/30/05, Eric Scheid <eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure you know what a cat is. Now you are just being contrary for
>> the sake of trolling.
>
> Actually, he's got a good point; don't be so trigger happy with your
> plonking. For one who's deep-knee in zoology, "cat" is not a housecat,
> nor a tiger, nor an extinct race of cats. The point is that "cat"
> doesn't exist without context, even if you seems to think so. This is
> thoroughly explained by Schrodinger, which remarkably is smack on
> topical. :)

A specific instance of a cat doesn't exist without context. But there is a
broad and vague concept of a cat ... it's just not granular enough for some
folks. Same as if we were to substitute "thing" and "stuff" for lots of
different words. There would still be meaning, but not as clear.

Why am I now reminded of smurfs and their smurfy smurfing smurfs?

bah, humbug, I'm off to lunch.

e.