[Sigia-l] functional screen resolution

Michael Albers malbers at memphis.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:08:08 EDT 2005

I never maximize my windows with my monitors (I use dual monitors) set at 1024.

I have seen some interesting responses from students working on web design
projects. (small projects part of a larger writing course).  They all work
with maximized windows designing their web pages.  I point out I never
maximize my windows and will be grading their project with a non-maximized
window.  I actually saw one student reduce the window, look at the poor
text breaks, say "yech, that looks terrible," maximize the window, and kept
working.

Mike Albers

>My think that Windows user are used to have optimized their Explorer windows
>so if they have a resolution of 1024 it wont be a problem to optimize for
>1024. But now when Windows user's starts to have greater screens with 1400
>and 1600 pixels resolution at least power user's starts to fit more then one
>window on the screen, or make readably column size for sites with liquid
>layout. This means that an 800 pixels resolution optimization is more
>appropriate for Windows users with big resolution.

Dr. Michael J. Albers
Professional Writing Program
Department of English
University of Memphis