[Sigia-l] The art of reading

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jun 28 12:39:57 EDT 2005

> he web has changed my reading  habits much.

For my birthday recently I was given a 1024 page cookbook that has gorgeous
pictures for every single recipe. Looked great. (Background: for recipe
management I use a program I wrote 8-9 years ago.) So I wanted to find a
broccoli recipe with a couple of other ingredients I happened to have in the
fridge. Well, a book is useless for that. I went to Amazon.com to see if the
book was included in their "Search in this book" service so I could actually
find stuff. No go. I literally sat down with the giant book in front of me,
disgusted, disappointed and a bit surprised at just how dependent I had
become in consuming stuff digitally: search, facets, cut&paste, zoom-in,
etc.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba