[Sigia-l] Self organising Information (Was Data as Information)

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:33:51 EDT 2005

Hi Jan,

I read your message and it's reminded me of a theory I'm still fleshing out.
This gets a bit nebulous so forgive me if it appears a bit, well, strange.

In many ways information and energy are related which comes over in Shannons
work. Life, for example, is governed by what is best described as 'rate of
change' - something that is covered by the area of artificial life - or
complex systems / complexity / self organising systems, pick the term you're
happiest with.

Life requires the right amount of change to work, and it needs a particular
form of organisation, one where it can organise energy (and information)
using existing energy/information. To low a rate of change leads to either a
static or cyclical system, like sailing a ship with no wind or tide, to high
and things just break down into chaos, like trying to sail a ship in a
extreme storm.

Computers are mostly static and cyclical - they require being poked with a
stick to do anything, like the web sites most of build (updating prices isnt
really dynamic, it's just a simple reaction from a feed).

You brought up entropy. Yep we're fighting entropy - fighting things getting
too static or too chaotic. The reason why we're all in a job is that this is
a never ending fight - as long as things change, regardless of the rate of
change, things need to be updated.

So comes my theory - how about self organising sites?  I'm not really
talking about personalisation, or collaborative filtering (you have to admit
it doesnt work that well for the effort users have to put into it) nor am I
talking about Wikis - which start getting close. I'm talking about
information that feeds of the energy of user interaction to organise it's
self and remains usable. In essence a library that needs no librarians, only
readers.  I think it's possible but am time poor, so to speak.

I've heard people use the term bottom up IA but these come short of true
bottom up systems (the BBCs approach, for example,  is fundamentally top
down due to their use of an evolved dublin core).

I can't help think someone has tried to do this before but can anyone think
of examples?  Or do you feel I still have some explaining to do?

Cheers

Stewart Dean