[Sigia-l] To Title or Not to Title (Was: Becoming and IA)

T. Karsjens timothy at karsjens.com
Mon Jun 27 00:49:39 EDT 2005

My personal labels over the last 8 years have never actually included the
words "information" or "architect".

"Consultant" with added descriptors of "Senior", "Principal", or even
"Founding" have been the little tag line under my name on my business cards
for this period of time.

Before that, it was "webmaster".

I tend to agree with Ziya.  Titles are meaningless.  If I am selling a
project to a client that knows what an Information Architect is, then yay!
I have a spot to fill my name in under in the proposal.  If not?  My name is
still on the proposal, as either just "Consultant" or "Business Analyst" or
"Whatever the client wants to call me, short of nasty foul names, which will
be more than okay as time progresses..."

I have met a lot of "Information Architects" in the Twin Cities which know
about as much about information architecture as I know about bio-chemistry,
which is not a whole heck of a lot.

A funny little story which makes titles inconsequential:  I was on a project
as a "Consultant".  The manager of the project was replaced halfway through
the development lifecycle.  The new manager thought that the interface was
too large for just one person and she replaced me with a team of 5
"Information Architects".  Three months later, she was way over budget, and
the team of 5 "Information Architects" had yet to deliver ANYTHING.  I was
hired back and completed the remainder of the project in a TENTH of what the
team of 5 had quoted her.

So, in the end, your title matters not, but what does matter is whether or
not you can do the work competently.

Timothy Karsjens