[Sigia-l] Brand Creation

Lada Gorlenko lada at acm.org
Wed Jun 8 06:04:44 EDT 2005

LL> Branding IS the means to realize a business goal, but "branding" means
LL> creating something (a product, a service, an experience, whatever)
LL> which delivers the brand promise. The "brand promise" is what the
LL> business is set out to do, it's what's defined by the business mission.

The nature of particular products and experiences stopped being a
matter long ago at Virgin. From a sugar drink and a record label to
plains and trains and recently (surprise, surprise!) female underwear
-- Virgin *is* the example of a brilliant brand creation. Brilliant in
a sense that it realises not that much a business goal but,
quintessentially, the character of its creator.

You may hate flying Virgin between London and Orlando unless you have
small kids (they go extra mile to make it a family-friendly flight,
thus turning it into unbearable experience for anyone else). You may
hate taking a Virgin train cross-country if you do have small kids
(not suited for prams and doors are really awkward if you hold a
child), but you can't deny that Richard Brandon is a branding genius.
No, really, don't even start arguing :-)

Here is Branson's own account: "Loosing my Virginity: How I've
Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way"
http://snipurl.com/ffs1
A recommended reading for anyone with a passion for life.

Lada