[Sigia-l] "meta-"navigation

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Fri Jun 3 21:31:13 EDT 2005

> From: Eric Scheid
>
> I don't think it is a completely nonsense term:

Placing a piece of data above all others does not make it a meta-data.
Similarly, placing a navigation component above all others does not
make it a higher navigation. Thus, using the term "meta-navigation" to
indicate navigation component placement is an improper use of "meta".

> there is navigation to pages which are meta to the site (eg.
> 'about', 'privacy', 'copyright', etc), and thus could be termed
> "meta-navigation"

Meta-x is about x. Similarly, meta-navigation is about navigation.
Thus, using meta-navigation to refer to something about site is a
reference context error.

Boniface