[Sigia-l] The iPod of tea infusers

Amy Silvers asilvers at vml.com
Wed Jul 27 10:03:17 EDT 2005

Louise Hewitt wrote:

> AH, but that applies to a good English Cuppa, however, this is clearly
> for the Asian tea market - perhaps a good cup of green tea is 'seeped'
> and not scalded.
>
> Could this be a case of know your audience?

Judging from the look of the Teastick font and logo, and from the
overall tone of the site, I'd say the market they're going for is the
same one that briefly favored Asian-style teahouses a few years back. In
the late '90s, small, overpriced cafes selling a zillion varieties of
unusual and overpriced teas were quite trendy for a while, and may still
be popular, for all I know. I'm a fan of good strong brewed English tea,
myself, and I drink it from a 24-ounce vat, so the Teastick wouldn't be
for me--but there's a small niche market that would likely appreciate
it. In foodie terms, I think tea infusers are viewed as far superior to
teabags, at least in the US. But I'm not sure why this one would be any
better than the standard "tea ball" style, which you can buy for $4 or
so in many grocery stores.

Amy Silvers
VML
asilvers at vml.com