[Sigia-l] Showing numbers in facetted classifications

Simon Parker me at srparker.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 17:01:49 EDT 2005

We are in the process of designing and implementing a facetted classification system for our products.

I would like to know if there is any experience on whether or not to show the actual result numbers in brackets for any particular facet element.

As an example, Barnes and Noble do not show the numbers in each category:
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?userid=ZYw1rvlIdI&endeca=1&bncatid=924481&visgrp=fiction

but Circuit City does:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/category.do?catOid=-12962&N=20012961+20012962&c=1

Our question is does the additional screen content and clutter that showing the numbers gives add to or detract from the customers' expereience? Does it just add to the confusion by making the screens just too busy, or does it provide useful information that is helpful in their search?

We obviously plan to test both options with customers, but have others looked at this?

Regards

Simon Parker.