[Sigia-l] Converting from a frame based website to a non frames based implementation

doug moncur doug.moncur at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 00:51:07 EDT 2005

hello,

I'm unashamedly after some advice.

One of my many tasks is porting our corporate website from a classic
"apache plus a bit of cgi" to our new content management solution
which doesn't do frames. Not even a little. In fact it has the same
sort of relationship with frames as vampires have with garlic.
(Actually not strictly true - there are ways to simulate frames but
they're tedious)

Now we all know frames are nasty sinful and evil. However, in 1998 no
one told the compilers of the Wagiman online dictionary -
http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/rsrch/rsrch_pp/wagiman/dict/dict.html - this
was the case. The dictionary compilers took a perfectly sensible
design decision and the design is quite functional even though it
breaks accessibility guidelines.

Anyone ever done anything similar, and if so how did you do it -
example sites are especially welcome

-Doug
--

'Programmer /n./ A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with
  inanimate objects.' - anonymous