[Sigia-l] Wisdom and best practices

Thomas Quine Thomas.Quine at lss.bc.ca
Mon Jul 4 14:46:39 EDT 2005

Ziya wrote:

>I do strategy/architecture/design surgery for a living, mostly in
>enterprise
>settings dealing with complex apps. I'd say one of the top three
reasons >the
>apps I get to redo are so badly designed is because they were shaped by
>SMEs. They may have the domain expertise alright but they have no
business
>designing applications. That's a different art best left to Designers.

Sure. Another way of saying that is to say that just because someone has
expertise in one subject matter does not make them an expert in a
different subject.

This is not an argument against the value of the concept of best
practices. I would still maintain that, for instance, a good starting
point for application design would be to draw upon the wisdom and best
practices of experienced practitioners in the field of application
design (i.e. SMEs in that particular subject matter, such as yourself.)

- Thom