[Sigia-l] Wisdom and best practices

Thomas Quine Thomas.Quine at lss.bc.ca
Mon Jul 4 13:19:01 EDT 2005

Conal Tuohy wrote:

"I think this is part of why the discussion has been so fruitless.
What's the point of having the two concepts [data and information] and
making a distinction (or not making a distinction) between them? Why
would you?"

Well, the reason I usually draw a distinction between data and
information is that it takes different tasks to make them usable.

I tend to view the data world as the domain of the IT folks, and I would
define their job as turning data into information (i.e. putting binary
data into some context recognizable by the audience, such as a report on
total sales or average annual rainfall.) This is all that Google does.

Then there's another group of folks, writers, graphic designers,
instructional designers, user experience designers, usability experts,
and other information designers who do a different job. I see their role
as turning information into knowledge. I would define knowledge loosely
as "usable information".

(I notice some information architects have one foot on either side of
this admittedly blurry line, but a lot seem to have both feet on one
side or the other.)

There's only one thing that can turn knowledge into wisdom, and that's
experience, often of the painful sort. This is one reason wisdom is
almost impossible to train for.

Here's another example of the difference between data, information,
knowledge and wisdom: