[Sigia-l] Flash 7 only on 76% computers (was: Macromedia Flashpaper...)

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sat Jan 15 02:21:40 EST 2005

Manu Sharma:
>>> we know that well over 90% of internet users are on Windows
>> How do we know that?
> Come on Ziya, you can't be arguing that Windows isn't the most widely
> distributed OS platform.

No, I can't be. But what's that got to do with "internet users"?

Not every computer that runs a version of Windows is an "internet user".
There are millions upon millions of Wintel computers out there that are not
connected to the Internet, not operated by humans, operate as servers, POS
machines, displays, single-task boxes, actually run a non-Windows OS, access
the Internet via mobile devices, etc. Add to it millions of browsers having
to spoof as IE, then you can see why I do suspect those numbers.

Like any other piece of marketing drivel those numbers mean very little in
specific contexts. In fields like education, arts, science, music, etc.,
Windows is absolutely not 90% of users by a long shot, neither IE's share of
the browser market.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba