[Sigia-l] Google IM,my.google.com(was Scholar)

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 08:16:09 EST 2005

>From: b0b d0n <bobdon at gmail.com>
>To: Stewart Dean <stew8dean at hotmail.com>
>CC: andrew_db at bigpond.com, sigia-l at asis.org
>Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] Google IM,my.google.com(was Scholar)
>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:10:03 -0800
>
>Stewart Dean  wrote:
> > Andrew doth say..
> >
> > >it is news today because Google is doing it... if Google put out their
>own
> > >brand of cat food, this would also make the news
> >
> > Never underestimate the power of brand. The question is is it any good.
>
>..IM is always good :)
>http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/gwm/2004/0927msg2.html
>
>What next? >my.google.com<
>http://www.yeald.com/Yeald/a/13131/will_google_personalize.html

The eternal misplaced desire to own the customer!  One of the common
mistakes of bad IA :)

Customisation - I woud grossly generalise, hardly ever work. It's too time
consuming from a users perspective and assumes the person has the same needs
on each visit.  Also it should be 'your' not 'my' as it is a service being
offered by someone else. The customer never owns that page as such. I have
had the joy of killing many 'my' sections clients have proposed. For example
a my section on a printer manafacturing site that remembers what printer the
client has so it can recommend the right media / ink.  Obvious point here -
the user can usual remember what printer they have but not yet another user
name password combination.

Personalistion, on the other hand, is good (if done well). Google already do
it in their groups offering and of course in Gmail.

Anyway - all off topic. Google have very difficult times ahead of them.
There is a huge danger in doing to much to soon and falling into the myth
that company growth is always good. But that's easy to say as an outsider.

I was just wondering how long before Google buy Flickr.

Stew Dean
User Experience Type Person