[Sigia-l] To sort or not to sort

FelcanSmith, Mark mfelc at allstate.com
Mon Feb 21 12:19:55 EST 2005

I'm reviewing designs for a search feature. My question is regarding the search results...the design has the results coming back in a table/grid format. Columns contain Title/Description, Subtype/Date, and File Type.

I initially was reviewing the wireframes for consistency w/ the application this feature will be integrated with, and not necessarily at the context of use of this feature. I came back w/ a recommendation to include sortability on the results table. Now I'm questioning whether or not that is really a useful feature.

Based on relevancy is how the results are displayed currently...given that model, does the ability to sort on the results provide any substantial value. Remember there is always cost involved in development...weighing out the cost to develop the sort with the need (perceived value) of the user.

I can see the benefit to being able to organize the collection that was returned to me, sorted by Title (alpha) or by data (descending/ascending), etc. Looking over the major search sites however, none of them offer the ability to sort.

Thanks,
Mark