[Sigia-l] Google Maps

Miguel Arroz arroz at guiamac.com
Thu Feb 10 13:03:35 EST 2005

Hi!

> Well, you might use Mappy, I use www.multimap.com, which I find better,
> mainly because I can throw just about anything into the initial search
> and it'll usually get me what I need. That's not the case with Mappy,
> which has much less flexible criteria - it doesn't find anything if I
> use just a UK post code, for example (and also doesn't warn me that it
> needs a full address).

   Well, it missed my street! :-) Also, you cannot drag the map arround,
like in mappy or google maps.

> Also, I'd question their UX decision to have an "itinerary" form next
> a "map" form. Does everyone naturally understand the word "itinerary"
> (what's wrong with "directions")? I'd combine the two into one form
> with
> an option to get directions to another address along the way.

   Well, that's a matter of language... I'm portuguese, and I think
itinerary is a better word that directions (itinerary transaltes
directly to "itinerário", witch is immediately understood as the path
to follow from your start point to the destination). Directions does
not have a direct translation, so some people also translate it by
itinerário, others translate by "morada", that means address. I don't
know about native english speakers.

   Also, I don't see the problem in having the itinerary (or directions,
for that matter) as an option right on the first page. For me, the
first time I used mappy it was really obvious that I could see where
something is, or that I could ask how to go from here to somewhere
else. It was not obvious at all how to do it on google maps.

   Yours

Miguel Arroz

       "I felt like putting a bullet between
        the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't
        scr*w to save its species."       -- Fight Club

   Miguel Arroz - arroz at guiamac.com - http://guiamac.com/bagos