[Sigia-l] Amazon Prime (subscription-like service) - an innovation?

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 7 19:21:36 EST 2005

Hi Bill,

Overall, it is probably a great idea, and on thinking about it, I am
surprised it took them this long.

Personally, I find it annoying that I went to the trouble of setting up
a profile in Amazon that included my address (Australia) and, on logging
in, am offered a service I can't use (no shipping reduction to
Australian customers). Why bother personalising and then continue to
sell the benefits of something I can't use? (I still get the 'Buy More!
You may qualify for reduced shipping charges!' stuff). The only
reduction in shipping available to me is to combine items, which is OK
when they are all in stock and can ship together, but rarely happens.

In case you're wondering, I use Amazon because, as annoying as some of
these 'features' are, they are still more efficient than going through
an Australian distributor for a book that often has to come from
overseas anyway, and historically, they are a lot less likely to screw
up orders. That, and Amazon is usually cheaper :)

Best regards, Andrew

Bill Pawlak wrote:

>Has anyone tried this yet
>(http://www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html)?  I'd
>imagine you'd have to shop quite a bit to make it worth your while...
>but here's a snip from the welcome message I just received:
>
>"We expect Amazon Prime to be expensive for Amazon.com in the short
>term.  In the long term, we hope to earn even more of your business,
>which will make it good for us, too.  We hope you enjoy our latest
>innovation."
>
>Is this really an innovation?  Think they'll try to patent it?  It's
>different from Netflix in that the annual fee only covers shipping on
>products whereas something like Netflix covers the rental of the
>product and the shipping...  It seems like if anything it'll clutter
>up an already unwieldy interface...
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>bill

Andrew Boyd