[Sigia-l] crosswalks thesauri - does context matter?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Fri Dec 16 20:44:48 EST 2005

On 17/12/05 9:07 AM, "Alexander Johannesen" <alexander.johannesen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/17/05, Eric Scheid <eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au> wrote:
>> well, they only would need to do the crosswalk of just the terms
>> they use (a hundred or two), not the full LCSH.
>
> Don't know about you, but I'd give it a go as the mapping is in the
> upper ontology only, and is only a small set (that's enough
> ambiguity[sp] to maybe make it work).

Darn.

I was hoping it would be one of those maddening difficult problems. Now that
there is some sense in sharing crosswalks (at least as a starting base to be
adapted) this means I have to write code to allow different clients to
export and import these crosswalks ;-)

Now ... anyone have any recommendations as to a widely used XML format for
crosswalks, or will I have to make up my own? Maybe I could just use SEE,
BT, and NT thesaurus relationships in a thesaurus export ... does anyone
know of a XML vocabulary for references outside of the current thesaurus?

e.