[Sigia-l] cross-reference/thesaraus -type question

Lyle Kantrovich lyle.kantrovich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:50:50 EST 2005

On 12/15/05, Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> Sure. You can have word/phrase associations entered manually (by a taxonomy
> person) and wired fairly trivially by a DBA.

> An entire firm would be overkill; a single IA should be able to do this
> fairly quickly.

My recommendation would be to never take seriously anyone throwing
around words like "fairly trivially" and "fairly quickly" when they
are only as versed in your problem as they can be from one short
email.  :-)  Not only are those words totally ambiguous, but they are
far from a real estimate on the work.

In my opinion, the work you're talking about can't be done well by
just anyone calling themselves an IA.  Not all "IAs" can do serious
taxonomy or thesaurus work.  Find an experienced resource who can
provide you a qualified proposal, then you'll know what it'll take.

I'd recommend talking to folks who can talk about taxonomies and
thesauri they've developed in the past.  They might call themselves
IAs or taxonomists or any number of other titles.

--
Lyle